Blender is confusing.
Things are going full steam ahead! This week I finished everything I had planned for Alpha. Now all the main gameplay systems are in place. Everything still needs lots of polish, but that’s for Beta. Now that Alpha is complete I can move on to adding more content to the game, starting with the enemies. I’m planning on having about 40 enemies in the game, although roughly half of those will be palette swaps instead of unique meshes. After that it will be on to backgrounds, for which I have 16 planned.
I hired an animator earlier in the week. I’m hoping that if I pay him (the little bit that I can afford anyway), he’ll be less likely to randomly disappear, as is common in unpaid collaborations. He’s completed most of the animations for the fighter character, which I put in the game yesterday. It’s so awesome to finally see a character moving around!
Sam, the musician, let me know yesterday that he’s getting started on the battle music. He’s great at doing atmospheric orchestral arrangements, so I’m looking forward to hearing what he produces. I’ll post here once there’s something tease-worthy. I’m thinking of finding someone to do a ‘hidden track’ in the classic 8/16 bit chiptune style as an unlockable.
So currently I’m fumbling around in Blender to produce more enemy characters. I’m proficient in Max and Maya, but unfortunately I can’t afford the thousands of dollars it costs to get a real copy. And even if I could I would spend it on a pro version of Unity and Unity iOS first! I’m starting to get faster in Blender now that I’m not constantly trying to use Maya’s hotkeys by accident.
Here’s a quick doodle of the Lagomorph, the weakest enemy in the game. There are more dangerous relatives though, including the mythical Shadowmorph!